The release is too big!

It isn’t unusual for me to release at least one new update a week for the Costs to Expect API and website. I find it significantly easier to manage and test with small iterative releases. As the only developer on this project, anything that makes my life simpler is a plus.

Occasionally a release has to touch a substantial part of the Costs to Expect API, v2.02.0 is an example of that. I need to review every section of code relating to items.

I intended to split the development work for multiple item types across two versions, v2.00.0 and v2.02.0. The database gets upgraded, and then I hit the code and expose the feature.

In planning, I appear to have overlooked summary routes. Rather than extend the design I developed to incorporate item summary routes; it makes sense to modify it slightly, given the ‘new’ requirements. If I soldiered on and upgraded the item summary routes, I suspect I would want to refactor them in a few weeks. Rather than face that situation, I feel it makes sense to go back to the drawing board and ensure I develop a design that will work going forward.

Post-release of v2.02.0, I will rework the current design, refactor as necessary and then add support for multiple item types to the item summary routes.

I gave myself one to two weeks to develop support for multiple item types. It turns out, two weeks is probably about right given the increased (actual) scope.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *