Another productive three weeks

On the 17th January, I published a blog post about progress on Dlayer over the preview three weeks, five releases which fixed bugs, improved the UX and corrected a few issues that had been niggling for a while.

The last three weeks have been just as productive, I have put out six versions, one which adds the ability to create responsive layouts and five to put in place the foundations for the Form Builder.

– Release v1.06: Responsive layouts and the control bar.
– Release v1.07: Form Builder part 1.
– Release v1.08: Form Builder part 2.
– Release v1.09: Form Builder part 3.
– Release v1.10: Form Builder part 4.
– Release v1.11: Form Builder part 5.

The next significant addition to Dlayer will either be the Media Library or Website Manager. However, I’ve managed to amass several refactoring and minor improvement tickets for both the Form Builder and Content Manager that need to be ticked off.

The Dlayer MVP, how open sourcing the app helped me

If I ignore the inevitable restarts, I have been working on the minimum viable product (MVP) of Dlayer for a little over three years; it is astonishing how quickly time passes when you have a career and family.

I’ve been working on Dlayer demo, a responsive web development tool, one way or another, for almost a decade. In that period I got married, we have a three-year-old son and have moved half way across the country (small country).

I had an idea for a product, and I plan to realise it.

To say it has been tough would be a massive understatement. Realising Dlayer has been challenging, finding the time and money to work on my projects isn’t simple, it is about balance, you need to ensure you have enough cash flow to ensure your family is safe and comfortable, but on the other hand, you need the time to develop your projects.

I always planned on Dlayer being a private commercial product, 18 months ago I changed direction. After years of solo development and countless more ahead of me, I came to the conclusion that it is not possible to do this alone, I need help, but more importantly, I needed to relieve any stress from attempting to singlehandedly design, build and finance a complex product.

It took 18 months to prepare Dlayer for the official v1.00 Open Source beta release, but I got there, at the tail end of last year I released the first version.

Dlayer isn’t ready for prime time yet; there is still much to do, progress is consistent, and I’m getting my house in order so that the first contributors have a great experience.

As soon as you Open Source a product and realise that the eyes of other developers could be looking at your code you wake up, the quality goes up, standards you aim to adhere to get met and working practices in general improved, thank you.

Productive three weeks

I have had a productive three weeks; I finally released v1.00 of the Dlayer beta on the 22nd of December and didn’t stop there, as of today I will have released five updates, details below:

For the v1.00 release I stripped Dlayer back to the minimum viable product (MVP), this meant removing everything but the Content Manager. I have one more maintenance release planned, v1.06, and then with v1.07 my primary goal is to work towards returning the Form Builder.

The Content Manager was the minimum I wanted to release for v1.00, but, it isn’t the minimum for the MVP, for that, I need the Content Manager, Form Builder, Website Manager and Media Library, here’s to v1.07 and beyond.

Dlayer, v1.00

I’m happy to announce that today, I released v1.00 of my Open Source project, Dlayer.com.

It has taken a lot of work to reach this point, I’ve restarted the project multiple times, got married, had a child but finally, I reached a point where I was happy to release the project officially on GitHub.

The v1.00 release will act as a stable base for all future development; there is a long way to go, please read the release at Dlayer.com try out the demo. If you have any feedback, positive or negative, please let me know, I will also work towards releasing the roadmap at some point next year.

Dlayer Beta v1.00, RSN

I just added a post to G3D Development explaining where I am with Dlayer, short story, I plan on having the beta out before the end of the year, ideally within the next two weeks to given me time to relax during the holidays.

Unless I find a way to create additional stories within Pivotal Tracker, as of today there are only twelve stories left to complete. Back in October, I posted a list of some of the stories still to do, I’ve ticked off a few of those along with lots of additional tasks that I deemed necessary